History of Cherry-Burrell Freezers
The modern continuous ice cream freezer’s basic design had its start in 1926, when Clarence Vogt of Louisville, Kentucky, invented the scraped surface heat exchanger for use in the production of ice cream. The patent rights were assigned to Cherry Burrell, and this major advancement in ice cream production was introduced at the 1928 Dairy Exposition in Cleveland. The Vogt continuous process ice cream freezer enabled, for the first time, mass production of ice cream.
The basic principle behind this new freezer concept was to scrape frozen mix from the inside of a drum resembling the barrel of a batch brine freezer, and pump air into the mix as it was frozen. This concept improved heat transfer and whipped-in higher volumes of air. Mix was pumped into the freezing cylinder and a hold back valve was located at the discharge port. This produced a continuous stream of ice cream, allowed accurate control of overrun, and permitted efficient use of fruit feeders and packaging equipment.
The Neapolitan Three-Tube Vogt Ice Cream Freezer was introduced at the Dairy Exposition in late 1956. It was the first freezer capable of producing three flavours simultaneously from one machine. The three freezing tubes could be operated separately, each on a different flavour, or together on a single flavour at high volume.
Cherry Burrell revolutionized frozen dessert production in 1986, when it introduced the Vogt Premiere® freezer line. The microprocessor-controlled freezers internally monitor and automatically adjust critical operating functions during production. At a time when the ice cream and frozen dessert industry was experiencing phenomenal growth, the freezers’ sophisticated computer operation offered virtually unlimited product flexibility and more repeatable performance.